National Service Scheme (NSS)
The National Service Scheme (NSS) was launched in 1969, the birth centenary year of the
Father of Nation, by the Government of India. It is a voluntary association of young people,
especially college students to work for campus- community linkages. The sole aim of the NSS is
to provide hands-on experience to young students in delivering community service.
The motto of NSS is ‘NOT ME BUT YOU’. This reflects the essence of democratic living and
upholds the need for selfless service and appreciation of the other person’s point of view and
also to show consideration for fellow human beings.
● Understand the community in which they work.
● Understand themselves in relation to their community.
● Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem-solving.
● Develop among them a sense of social and civic responsibility.
● Utilise their knowledge in finding practice solutions to individual and community
● Develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities.
● Gain skills in mobilising community participation.
● Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes
● Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters.
● Practice national integration and social harmony
National Service Scheme is a student centered programme and it is complementary to
education. It is a noble experiment in academic extension. It inculcates the spirit of voluntary
work among students and teachers through sustained community interaction. It brings our
academic institutions closer to society. It is a link between the campus and community, the
college and village, knowledge and action. The overall aim of NSS is the Personality
Development of students through community service. It gives an extension dimension to Higher
Education system and orients the student youth to community service.
At college level the NSS volunteers are enrolled from the first, second and third year
degree-class students of the college.We have a unit of 100 volunteers at present. Volunteers
have to register themselves in July month each year.
To uphold and promote the values of communal harmony, patriotism, and national integration
among students and community members through NSS activities is one of the basic objectives
of the unit. The NSS unit will be involved in awareness programme related to
● Health and Cleanliness
● Road safety
● Voting awareness
● Pollution control
● Beti bachao beti padao
● HIV/AIDS prevention,
● Blood donation etc.
A merit certificate will be awarded by the affiliated university to the volunteers after successfully
completing two years in NSS.
Conditions for NSS certificate:
Although the conditions for awarding a NSS merit certificate changing time to time but some
basic conditions are as follows:
a) Minimum Two years as NSS volunteer
b) Total 240 hours of social service, 120 each year
c) Two one day camp every year
d) At least One Seven Days Special camp as NSS Volunteer.
e) Two time Blood Donations or Literate at least five persons in the society